Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Lovers are wrong about the Moon



Blog: Hey Atul, you there?

Atul: Yeah, what's up bloggy?

Blog: I just read something and wanted to share that with you. I hope you are not busy.

Atul: I am in the middle of fixing this bug on my project website that only happens on Internet Explorer 6. It is killing me. I just hate working on browser compatibility issues. Why the hell, all browsers can't follow a single protocol.

Blog: Oh, don't fret about that. That's how most of you clumsy developers maintain your jobs, fixing these issues. But nevermind, i wanted to talk about the Moon.

Atul: Go ahead mister.

Blog: So I was reading about the moon and the lunar phases. You know like, how there is a new moon, then a crescent, then half .. then full, this whole cycle. And then I just realized something. I have heard that many human lovers do this. The guy will tell the girl, 'at 10 P.M. go to the terrace and watch the moon, I'll be watching the same moon. And then I'll blow a kiss towards the moon and you also do the same. We will not be together but the moon will be our connection'

Atul: How romantic! I can tell you, girls just lap on this stuff. If you are trying to woo a girl, just play this trick. I never knew, you had such a mushy side to you bloggy.

Blog: But here's the mistake the lover made. Yes, if the guy lives in Lajpat Nagar, Delhi and the girl lives in Gandhi Nagar, Delhi. They will share the same moon. But think about it, if the guy lives in Delhi, and the girl lives in New York. This will NEVER work. Because when it's day in new york, it's night in delhi, so how will they see the same moon ? Aren't lovers crazy?

Atul: Oh my God. I think I am crazy that I am hearing all this bullshit. Is that why you called me while I was in the middle of my work.

Blog: What? You don't find this profound? Let me give you one more example. Let's say the guy lives in New York and the girl lives in Peru and let's say it's a half moon. They will have night at the same time because they are pretty much on the same longitude so yeah they will see the moon at the same time. But the moon that the new york guy will see will be different from the peru girl's moon. The half moon which is illuminated for the guy is not the half moon that is illuminated for the girl. Because they are in different hemispheres of the Earth, new york being in the north and peru in south. In fact at any time, roughly only 1/4th of the world can see the same moon. Isn't that amazing?

Atul: eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee .... that's the sound I make when I am frustrated. What you are doing, is what we used to call in college as 'bakchodi'. I have no time for it right now.

Blog: What a put off :( Damn you humans! You just don't have any scientific fervor. Keep on living in your insane poetic world. And I hope you keep on fixing browser issues on your website your whole life.

Atul: Amen, that's much better than being part of this stupid blog entry.

No comments: