Sunday, July 02, 2006

Football and Sex !!

Got you. This entry has nothing to do with sex. I thought that if I will mention only football, no ones gonna read. So I put in sex in the title. If you are disappointed and don’t want to read further then go visit debonairblog.com. Rest read on!


So football, there was a match between Germany and Argentina. I was favoring Germany (don’t ask me why, you just got to root for some team) and I was really glad that Germany won. As for records, I shouted really hard when Germany equalized in 80th minute, shouted hard, this time clapping too on all the penalties that germany took and argentina missed. And when finally germany had won, I performed a step or two of Bhangra. That’s it. But one of my friends whose favorite team is Argentina, he COULD NOT SLEEP THAT DAY. Its not that he is more of a football fanatic than me, because there was a time when even I could not digest the innings defeats of India by South Africa. I kept on ruminating on the match, why don’t we Indians perform on foreign pitches, why can’t we handle pressure in crux situations? It’s the same old story.

The reason is that we take wins for granted and don’t accept losses. And this is not really only about sports, this is about every other aspect of your life.

You don’t get a good raise, you say you were wronged or unlucky. You get it, you always deserved it.

Your woman / man ditches you, you cry your head off, when they are not, you take them for granted.

Stock market, you win some money, you throw a small party, you loose, you commit suicide.

Always, any incident if not favorable will incite a reaction more in magnitude than if it was favorable as is manifested in the football example. (huh, sounds like a theorem).

All right, this is one thing that we love to cry over our misery more than we love to be happy. But going back to my initial e.g. why is that we are more interested in germany or argentina but not in FOOTBALL. In football, since India is not there, there is a possibility that we actually see football but in cricket, it’s a BIG lie that India loves cricket. This is a common statement from any average Indian cricket fan “What ever happens, Pakistan should not win”. And we call it love for cricket?

If I were going to give a Geeta Updesh, this is what I will say. If you are a player, then fight as if it was a matter of life and death and if you loose then join the winning team’s party. And if you are a spectator then just enjoy the beautiful game called life, oops I mean football!!

No comments: